Duplin County was first formed by the North Carolina General Assembly on April 7, 1750. The County was named after Sir Thomas Hays, Lord Dupplin, who served on the Board of Trade and Plantations for the Crown in the 1740s. During the 1700s, the area’s rich farmlands attracted a wide variety of immigrants, including the Welsh, Germans, Swiss, Scotch-Irish, French and English.
Duplin County is home to over 58,000 residents. The population has increased by 1.1%* from April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015, attesting to the County’s economic vitality. There are 10 incorporated towns in the County: Beulaville, Calypso, Faison, Greenevers, Kenansville (the County Seat), Magnolia, Rose Hill, Teachey, Wallace and Warsaw.
Geography and Climate
Located in the Southeastern Coastal Plain of North Carolina, Duplin County is the 9th largest county in the state in area, and is situated approximately 75 miles from Raleigh and 60 miles from Wilmington and the Atlantic Ocean. The County experiences relatively mild weather, with long summers and short winters. Significant accumulations of ice and snow are unusual.
Duplin County has a strong agricultural heritage and a promising future — it has been estimated that the agricultural output of Duplin County, combined with neighboring Sampson County, is equal to about 1/6 of the world’s food supply. Agriculture industries in Duplin County today range from family farms to corporate headquarters of major producers.
10 Reasons To Discover Duplin County
- Easy access to regional, national and international markets
- An excellent highway network featuring Interstate 40
- Low-cost buildings and industrial sites
- Tax credits and incentives for new and expanding companies
- No inventory tax; no sales tax on raw materials
- Outstanding training programs, free to qualifying businesses
- Low workers compensation and unemployment insurance rates
- A business-friendly climate in a right-to-work state
- Local commitment to the success of relocating and expanding businesses
- The good life — relaxed and affordable small town charm